Eye cold is a general term used for conjunctivitis eyes. The other common name is Pink eyes. It can be due to bacterial or infection. It can even be due to allergies. It occurs when there is inflammation of conjunctiva of eyes. It can occur in one eye or both eyes if left untreated for a long period. Conjunctivitis of eyes is a common eye disease as it spreads easily. Thus, children quite easily fall sick due to pink eyes as they are less hygienic compared to adults.
What exactly are the symptoms of Eye cold?
- The whites of the eyes start reddening.
- Your eyes become sensitive towards any kind of lights.
- You have swollen eyelids.
- You have watery eyes and sometimes yellow or white color discharge from eyes is experienced.
Reasons behind the occurrence of Eye Cold:
- The prominent reason is adenovirus. These are the viruses which are responsible for people catching common cold and endure headache.
- Bacterial infection.
- Irritation due to usage of substandard shampoos, dirt or because of smoke. Sometimes high level of chlorine in the pool can cause irritation of eyes leading to pink eye symptoms.
- It can occur due to application of low-quality eye drops.
- Even wearing contact lens can cause pink eyes.
- It can even happen due to sexual transmitting diseases.
- Occurrence of Gonorrhea and Chlamydia can cause conjunctivitis of eyes if left untreated.
- The other causes could be due to fungi, amoeba and parasites.
There are varied kinds of eye cold conditions. Some of them need to be cured as early as possible and few effects are quite less.
Prominent kind of pink eyes:
- Viral strains – It is one of the most common kinds of pink eyes usually effecting one eye. The symptoms are reddish eyes and continuous watery discharge. There can be swollen lymph node in front of your ear.
- Bacterial strains – It can cause in both eyes if it is left untreated.
- Ophthalmia neonatorum is often found in infants and new born babies. Mainly caused due to bacterial infection. It is treated as soon as possible to prevent blindness of eyes.
- Giant papillary occurs due to continuous use of contact lens. It is due to the reaction of chronic allergy of artificial lens fixed in eyes.
Even though the symptoms of pink eyes aren’t dangerous, however if it isn’t treated at right time by expert optometrist it can cause varied eye ailments.